David combines his expertise in construction and energy law to advise owners, developers, and utilities in the development of renewable energy generation and energy efficiency projects. For example, David has drafted renewable energy power-purchase agreements, associated interconnection agreements, construction contracts, lease agreements, and related agreements.
He has advised renewable energy developers regarding the availability of governmental incentives, including ARRA Section 1603, the Investment Tax Credit, the Production Tax Credit, and incentives from the U.S.D.A.’s Rural Development Division (formerly RUS).
As a Special Assistant Attorney General, David was called by a large public owner to draft energy savings performance contracts, investment grade energy audit agreements, and related documents for use by multiple public agencies. His energy, construction, and tax expertise has been a vital asset in guiding clients through the complex regulatory terrain of energy construction.
David also advises farmers and landowners who lease their property to solar developers. Because he has been involved in solar projects on behalf of different participants, he knows the particular areas of concern for landowners. And he negotiates solar leases to protect landowners’ interests.
- “Top Ten Considerations of Fiber Installation Contracts,” Rural Telecom Magazine, Spring 2017.
- “Leasing Agricultural Property to Solar Developers Requires Careful Attention to Details,” USDA Rural Cooperative Magazine, September/October 2016.
- “Financing Energy Efficiency Projects for Facility Owners, Managers, and Engineers,” GlobalCon Proceedings, Association of Energy Engineers, March 2012.
- “The Basics of Developing Energy Projects,” Association of Energy Engineers’ Proceedings, October 2011.
- “Financing Energy Efficiency Initiatives,” Owners Perspective, Construction Owners Association of America, July 2011.
- “Financing Energy Efficiency Initiatives,” Financial Executive Magazine, March 2011.
- “Financing Energy Projects Through Government Incentives,” Building Profits, Construction Financial Management Association’s Magazine, November/December 2010.
- “Financing Renewable Energy Projects In Difficult Economic Times,” Association of Energy Engineers’ Proceedings, December 2010.
- “Financing Alternatives for Green Energy Projects,” Power Engineering, June 8, 2010.
- “Solar Energy Development,” National Business Institute, April 25, 2013.
- “Renewable Energy Projects: Key Development Issues,” National Business Institute, December 12, 2012.
- “Minimizing Disputes in Contracts for Energy Project Development,” Electric Utility Consultants, Inc., December 6, 2012.
- “Nuts and Bolts of Renewable Power Plant Construction,” World Energy Engineering Congress (held at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta), November 1, 2012.
- “Energy Efficiency Projects,” GlobalCon 2012, Association of Energy Engineers, March 8, 2012.
- “The Basics of Developing Energy Projects: From Financing to Power Sales,” The 34th World Energy Engineering Congress, Chicago, IL, October 12-14, 2011.